Although the Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority (MMVTA) encourages bicyclists to utilize the services offered by MMVTA, the guidelines and instructions contained herein must be followed to ensure the safety and comfort of all passengers, as well as the safety of MMVTA and passenger property.
II. General Provisions and Regulations
• For the purposes of this Policy, a bicycle shall be defined as a two-wheeled, manually powered vehicle. Gasoline-powered or motorized bikes, folding bikes, tandem bikes, tricycles, bikes with child-carrier seats and/or training wheels shall not be permitted on the bike racks or on the MMVTA buses.
• Each MMVTA bus is equipped with a bike rack that will hold two bicycles at a time.
• Use of the space on each bike rack shall be on a first-come, first-served basis.
• If the bike rack is full, passengers with bicycles will be required to wait for the next bus with an open bike rack.
• The bike racks on MMVTA buses are designed to hold bicycles with wheel sizes ranging from 20” to 29” and with tires up to 2.25”.
• Bicycles falling outside of the above specifications may not utilize the bike rack and shall not be permitted on the MMVTA buses.
• Prior to the MMVTA Bus arrival, the passenger wishing to utilize the bike rack shall insure that all unsecured items are removed from the bicycle. Any items which fall from the bicycle while in transit shall not be the responsibility of the MMVTA.
• The MMVTA driver should be advised in advance when a passenger intends to load or unload a bicycle from the MMVTA bus.
• Bike locks are not permitted on the bike racks and the use of such lock will result in the revocation of the passenger’s ability to use the bike racks on any MMVTA bus in the future.
• Bicycles left on the MMVTA bus or at a MMVTA facility for longer than ten days will be considered abandoned.
III. Loading and Unloading a Bicycle on the MMVTA Buses
• Upon arrival of the MMVTA bus, inform the driver that you will be boarding and will be loading your bike.
• All bicycles shall be loaded from the curb side or front of the bus.
• Remove loose items from your bike such as water bottles, pumps, bags, etc.
• Squeeze the handle in the center of the rack and pull the rack outward.
• Place the bicycle onto the rack, with the wheels in the proper slots.
• Raise and secure the support arm over the top of the tire.
• Prior to approaching your stop, tell the driver that you will be unloading your bike.
• All passengers must be able to load and unload his or her own bicycle, as the driver will not be permitted to assist with the same.
• The use of the bike rack on the MMVTA buses is strictly at the own risk of the passenger/cyclist.
• The MMVTA is not responsible for loss, theft or damage to any bicycle or equipment on the MMVTA buses or property, regardless of cause. The use of the bike rack is an express acknowledgement of the same.
For questions or concerns, please call the Transit Center at 724.489.0880. Thank you.